Skip to main content

French Open: Britain's Elena Baltacha is happy to be back playing



The former British No 1 returns to action ten months after she thought she had played her final match.
Elena Baltacha is delighted to be back in grand slam action and is relishing her opening round encounter against New Zealand's Marina Erakovic at the French Open.
Baltacha, who has been through more than her fair share of injury and illness troubles, had contemplated retirement after the Olympics.
But the 29-year-old, who is currently ranked 200th, decided that she missed the tennis lifestyle too much.
She made her competitive return at an ITF event in Alabama before turning out for Great Britain in their Fed Cup defeat to Argentina in April.

Out of love

Baltacha said: "I actually retired after the Olympics. I kind of kept it to myself but I knew I'd had enough. I was going through the motions.
"If you're not careful you find yourself getting into a grind and I just fell out of love with tennis, to be honest.
"But the things I really hated about it are the things I really missed. Packing the suitcase, going from week to week in different hotels, getting on another flight. It was really bizarre. I realised how much I love tennis.
"The biggest thing I missed was the one-on-one competition. That challenge, the 'come ons', that feeling when you win a match and the umpire says, 'Game, set, match, Miss Baltacha'. You can replace that but only if you're ready to move on."
Watson back
Meanwhile, Heather Watson also makes a return to action after recovering from glandular fever.
The last time the 21-year-old was at a tennis tournament was in Miami in March.
She begins her Roland Garros campaign against Swiss Stefanie Voegele, who she beat in the final round of qualifying here in 2011 and is excited by the challenge.
Watson said: "I'm happy to be back. When I was packing my stuff and getting ready to live out of a suitcase again, it was kind of a nice feeling. I put my tennis bag on my back and had a smile to myself. I'm excited definitely."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robben: The pressure is on Dortmund

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2013/05/03/3950160/robben-the-pressure-is-on-dortmund?ICID=OP Robben:   The   pressure   is   on   Dortmund Next Dortmund hopeful Gotze will be fit for Champions League final By Stefan Coerts May 3, 2013 9:11:00 AM   31 The Dutchman does not believe Bayern will be affected by expectation when they take on BVB in the Champions League final this month Arjen Robben  believes that the pressure is on  Borussia Dortmund  in the Champions League final as they have not won anything yet this term while  Bayern Munich  have already wrapped up the Bundesliga title. The Bavarians are favourites to emerge victorious at Wembley on May 25 following their impressive 7-0 aggregate win over Barcelona in the semi-finals and the Dutchman thinks BVB will feel even more pressure following their disappointing domestic campaign. "We a...

Ferguson: I regret not signing Lampard

Ferguson:   I   regret   not   signing   Lampard Next Rodgers rejects Merseyside 'power shift' ahead of derby http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/05/05/3955273/ferguson-i-regret-not-signing-lampard?ICID=AR_AT_latest By John Stammers May 5, 2013 9:27:00 AM   1 The Manchester United boss lauded the 34-year-old's "phenomenal" career as he nears the Blues' all-time scoring record, likening the player to Red Devils legend Bryan Robson BET:                     £5                   £10                   £20                   £50                   £100             ...
Hughes appointed Stoke City manager Mark Hughes is confirmed as Stoke manager, taking over from fellow Welshman Tony Pulis at the Britannia Stadium.  101